Food Policy in the nursery
Food prepared for children in the nursery will comply Wherever possible with the following principles:
- Food is eaten on the same day as it is cooked.
- For lunchtime menus only fresh lean Meat (not beef), fresh fish, fresh and frozen vegetables, lentils or pulses are used.
- Fresh fruit is given and vegetarian and other diets are provided if requested.
- No salt, pepper, colouring, flavouring or other additives are added.
- The use of additional sugar is kept to a minimum.
Meals and Snacks
Our own qualified chef is employed to provide a wide variety of meals which are freshly cooked and prepared in the nursery every day. Special diets are catered for and parents are encouraged to provide information to the nursery about children’s favourites. Each week we have at least one fish, lamb and chicken dish. We use only wholemeal bread and supply fresh fruit and vegetables to all children everyday. The nursery displays details of meals provided every day including how much or how little children have eaten. For babies we provide formula feeds/individually prepared meals to assist with weaning. (Cow and Gate or SMA formula only if you wish to supply your own you may do so) Meals and snacks are provided at the following approximate times:
- Bread and butter, fruit,cereal or yoghurt with a drink of milk or water(7:30am)
- Fresh fruit and drink (10:00am)
Lunch with dessert
- A wide variety of cooked meals with a vegetaerian or dietary option (11:15am)
- Fresh fruit and drink (1:00 - 1:30pm)
- A variety of high-teas, hot or cold (3:00pm)
The nursery menu ensures that the children have a balanced and healthy diet. We do not add sugar or salt and wherever possible, use fresh produce. Any packaged foods used do not contain controversial colourings or preservatives. We reflect a multicultural menu and encourage children to try new tastes and flavours.